Garam Masala is a Hindi name that translates to – ‘hot blend of spices’. It is that culinary staple which is the heart of any Indian dish.
Though it was initially used in the northern regions (as early as the 13th century), now it is widely popular in the remote corners of the country too. It contains several Indian spices, which are roasted and then ground in specific quantities. It is lauded for its fresh aroma as much as its taste.
However, there’s more to it than just taste and aroma.
Black pepper, cinnamon, clove and cardamom are the prominent spices in Garam Masala which are blended with other ingredients like nutmeg, coriander, mace etc. The Garam Masala owes its health benefits to these individual spices that are used in its preparation.
Its magic is nothing but a sum total of the health benefits of all the spices. Let’s see them in detail-
- Helps in Digestion- This quintessential blend is believed to increase ‘digestive fire’. As a result it makes it easier for the body to process food thus leading to faster digestion.
- Boosts Metabolism- It increases the activity of digestive enzymes and also boosts metabolism .
- Aids Nutrients Absorption- Garam masala aids absorption of vitamins and minerals. But, how? It contains black pepper which helps in increasing the blood flow and also improves flow of oxygen. As a result these nutrients get absorbed and converted quickly.
- Both heating and cooling properties- Every spice in Garam Masala brings its own distinct set of nutrients which have a perfect blend of both heating and cooling properties.
- Rich in antioxidants- It contains powerful antioxidants especially Ceylon Cinnamon, Black Pepper and Clove have exceptional antioxidant potential.
- Oral Health- Clove in Garam Masala helps to ensure oral hygiene and is an effective remedy for tooth aches.
- Regulate Blood Pressure- It is that natural supplement which regulates blood pressure and helps in keeping our heart healthy. It is also extremely low in calories.
- Garam Masala helps the body to get rid of toxins by increasing perspiration rate.
Thus, it’s no wonder why every household is grateful for this magical spice mixture.
Precautions to exercise while buying Garam Masala-
- Quality of ingredients- Make sure that the spices used are not adulterated. Since Garam Masala is healthy only when the ingredients are organic and authentic.
- In what proportion are all individual spices used- Yes proportion matters!
- Check whether the mixture contains red chillies and cassia bark or black pepper and ceylon cinnamon. Since red chillies and cassia bark are both unhealthy and tend to have a very harmful effect on our health.
Recommendation on the usage-The right quantity to be added to the food depends on the region/place that you are living in. In colder regions you can use it more frequently and in larger quantities as compared to regions with high temperatures. Go grab your pack of Garam Masala today!